So here’s my first little podcast/mixtape thingy. It will be up for a week, and will be taken down immediately upon request by a copyright holder. (My thinking is that this is all back-catalog stuff, and hopefully I can help it find a new audience, who will buy it via the links below.)
I’ve decided to make these mixtapes according to specific moods: this one is “Fuck Or Kill”. These are songs for when you’re feeling those two sassiest of the deadly sins: Wrath and Lust. You’re irritated, you hate the world, and all you want to do is get fucked. A feeling I know intimately. The songs vary as to their mix of anger and desire, but all of them are things I listen to in this mood.
None of these are very new songs, and the selections aren’t particularly obscure or controversial. This is my Fuck Or Kill mix. You may have some or all of these songs in your own collection…but if so (maybe especially if so), download this and listen to them presented together in this order.
Again, I’ll be removing this file one week from today, and I’ll be checking my download stats. If enough people download this and seem to like it, I’ll do another one soon, based on another emotion — probably “Irrational Happiness”.
Enjoy. (And please don’t sue me.)
zenmixtape track list
- Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, “Loverman” Our opening track is a bit of howling swagger from Australia’s own Man in Black. Favorite bit: when he’s explaining what the letters L-O-V-E-R-M-A-N stand for. “V is for virtue, I ain’t gonna hurt you / E is for even if you want me to”. Brilliant.
- Jam & Spoon feat. Tricky, “Bianche Le Mie Mani” One of the two tracks featuring Tricky here, this is a bit of trip-hop I heard a couple of years ago on some MP3 blog. Groovy.
- American Music Club, “What Godzilla Said To God When His Name Wasn’t Found In The Book Of Life” Yeah, I know, irritating title. But a great song. I really like the rhythms on this one, and I love Mark Eitzel’s voice here.
- Underworld, “River Of Bass” This is my favorite song on Underworld’s classic Dubnobasswithmyheadman album, topping even “Cowgirl”. This is awesome late-night driving music…or late night fucking music.
- Treat Her Right, “I Think She Likes Me” Treat Her Right was a short-lived band fronted by the late Mark Sandman before he formed Morphine. It sounds like Morphine, but with guitar, which is a good thing. This is a great swamp-blues track. You’ll be paying a bit for this, as it’s way out of print.
- Nine Inch Nails, “The Only Time” The first NIN song I ever heard, and still probably ranks as the song I’ve had more sex to than any other. “Lay my hands on Heaven and the sun and the moon and the stars / While the devil wants to fuck me in the back of his car…”
- Tricky, “Christiansands” My favorite Tricky track. Features the lovely and talented Miss Martina Topley-Bird on vocals while Tricky rasps underneath. Great funk riff.
- PJ Harvey, “To Bring You My Love” No explanation required. Just listen.
- Bigod 20, “Wild At Heart” From the Sliver soundtrack, which was far better than the movie. Nice industrial sex throb music.
- Concrete Blonde, “Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)” I had such a crush on Johnette Napolitano in high school, and this song was why. Inspired (I assume) by Anne Rice, this is good goth booty music. 80s L.A. death rock is so hot right now.