God, I Need A Copy Of Ableton Live

Really, really bad.

Mom was gonna get it for me for my last birthday, but it didn’t end up working out. I can’t afford $499 for a full copy (and I need a full copy, not the Lite version, which won’t do what I need it to do).

I need it for live Red State Soundsystem performances, which are otherwise just me and Thom playing along to a pre-recorded track. Which is stupid. I need to be able to improvise and — more importantly — be able to work with a drummer.

And playing with the demo and the — fine, I’ll admit it — cracked copy I’ve got, I’ve realized I could be making fucking bank doing Live DJing in clubs here in Vegas — doing live beat-matching and looping of existing tracks combined with dropping my own beats and pads into the flow. (Live de-cracks itself. Randomly. It seems to know when you’re on stage, too.)

I don’t have anything I can sell to pay for this, and I can’t justify buying it in any way, even though I know I could make money using it — the gap between getting it and practicing with it and making money would be just a little too long for somebody in my dire financial straits. I can’t even afford one of those cheap copies on eBay, which are usually only discounted by $100 or so.

So, anybody got any ideas?

(Edit: if you want to see what you can do with Live, check this video out.)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to God, I Need A Copy Of Ableton Live

1. Michael R. Bernstein says:

“Believe me, I’ve looked at other options. There’s literally nothing else that does what Live does, and Live is the only app that does what I need it to do.”

OK, I’m not a musician, but as a software developer I find this somewhat surprising. I’d be interested to hear which apps come closest (Freewheeling? SooperLooper? Loopcenter?), and how they fail to meet your needs.

2. Ed Chi says:

“So, anybody got any ideas?”

Get a job.

3. admin says:

Hahahahaha. You know what would be awesome, there, Ed? If you’d go fuck yourself.

Thanks, bro.

4. Ross says:

Ed’s right.

You brag about how you’ll make “bank” with your new toy, but you don’t want to work. It’s so much easier to go to Starbucks and be a whiny slacker bitch, than have actual employment. If you were half as intelligent as you claim, I dunno, you might figure that out; and be able to actually *pay* for things, *buy* them yourself, instead of pandering pathetically.

Must suck to be.. what, 30? and live in your parent’s apartment. Although your story from Turkey was actually pretty cool.

5. admin says:

Ah, nice to see you again, Lenneth — I mean Ross. How’s that county gig treatin’ ya?

(The Shadow sees all.)

6. Ross says:

Not bad. I bought and paid for two Abletons today. Did you scrounge up enough spare change for a mochachino (with whipped cream) yet?

7. admin says:

Not yet. I didn’t get to suck enough cocks down on Fremont Street. But the day is early.

8. DEMONSEED says:

YOU ARE A TOOL- GO GET A FUCKING JOB!!!
    MABYE TRY SELLING YOUR TIGHT ASS OR SUCKING ON COCKS?

YOU FAIL AT LIFE!!

GAYBO!!

9. Michael R. Bernstein says:

What the heck?

Josh, compared to you I am a completely un-cool sellout and Tool of the Man, and yet I do NOT understand why some of your posts seem to bring out the entire population of Poserville to rant at you.

Hey, dipshits – instead of telling Josh to get a job, why don’t you losers go create something? Anything. It can be complete crap, and derivative as hell, as long as you actually make it yourself. I promise you’ll feel better.

10. Ross says:

Hey Mikey,

I read this blog a couple times a week, and the Big Man’s column every time it appears in CityLife. He IS a good writer, and his topics are often thought provoking. I’ve learned plenty of things about a variety of subjects; even took his advice based on a couple music/cd reviews. However, comments are welcomed on this site, and I will call bullsh*t when I see fit.

You don’t know anything about me; whether I’ve created anything or not. But this is what I believe to be true: A grown man asking, nay, *begging* for things is pathetic. Unless you’re like, i dunno, 11 years old. That is my opinion, and if you don’t like it, tough shiiite.